Requirements for a Master of Arts in Education (MAEd), Reading and Writing Endorsement Grades P-12
Overall MAEd Requirements
- A program of study that includes a minimum of 30 hours of course work with a minimum of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average throughout the program.
- The successful completion of a program of study including core courses, emphasis courses, and a final culminating project.
- A minimum of 24 hours of graduate credit earned in residence at Bellarmine. All credit hours must have faculty advisor approval.
- Completion of all degree work within six years of the applicant’s first registration in his/her program.
MAEd with Reading & Writing Emphasis Requirements
Bellarmine University’s Master of Arts in Education degree with Endorsement in Reading and Writing (Grades P-12) offers educators an in-depth study of teaching, learning, and literacy leadership. The endorsement in reading and writing across all grade levels will allow the classroom teacher to explore literacy issues related to elementary, middle, and high school students with an emphasis on issues related to struggling readers. In addition, the candidate will examine theoretical models and processes of literacy, investigating the political underpinnings of literacy in America.
Candidates who complete the Endorsement in Reading and Writing (Grades P-12) may choose to remain a highly qualified classroom teacher of reading and writing, may elect to serve as the literacy leader in their school, become the school’s reading coach, or apply for a district level literacy resource position.
The endorsement will be granted upon successfully completing 21 hours of literacy related course-work which includes a required practicum where candidates will work as a reading coach with local P-12 students. Courses are offered each semester leading to the endorsement and advanced degree. Acceptance into this program requires the student to hold a valid classroom teaching certificate.
MAEd Core Requirements: 15 hours
- EDUG 601 Research Methodology for School Leaders
- EDUG 636 Advanced Curriculum Methods
- EDUG 644 Teacher Leadership for Equity in Schools and Community
- EDUG 648 Technology Across the Curriculum
- EDUG 672 Dynamic Teacher Leadership
MAEd Reading and Writing Emphasis: 21 hours
- LITR 663 Diagnosis of Reading Difficulties
- LITR 621 Strategic Reading and Writing
- LITR 622 Emergent Literacy
- LITR 625 Theory and Politics of Reading
- LITR 627 Teaching Writing: A Workshop Approach
- LITR 645 Teaching Leadership Practices in Academic Literacy
- LITR 670 Literacy Leadership and Practicum
Note: LITR 535 - The Teaching of Reading may be required upon completed transcript review.
1. Minimum GPA of 3.67 in all literacy related coursework.
2. Successful completion of Supervised Practicum and exit interview.