Requirements for a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Degree, Secondary Education Grades 8-12
- Successful completion of one thirty-six (36) hour minimum specialization for a program leading to Secondary certification prior to enrolling in the MAT program, or completing the designated coursework as part of his/her MAT program of studies prior to the start of the Professional Semester. Students must select one of the following areas: Biology, Chemistry, English, Social Studies or Mathematics.
- A program of study which includes all the required coursework with a minimum of 3.0 over-all grade point average.
- A program of study that includes at least 36 hours of coursework at the 500 or 600 level.
- At least 30 semester hours of graduate credit earned in residence at Bellarmine.
- Successful completion of 105 clock hours of field experience prior to the Professional Semester.
- Successful completion of all Benchmark, Disposition and Performance Assessments.
- Completion of all degree work within six years of the applicant’s first registration in his/her program.
Module I - Foundations of Education
MAT. 501 Advanced Field Placement/Observation
MAT. 502 Foundations of Middle and High School Education
MAT. 507 Curriculum Design and Methods for Secondary School
MAT. 509 Classroom Management Strategies
Module IV - Secondary Pedagogy, and Methods Course(s)
MAT. 545 Reading in the Content Areas
Depending on concentration(s), select appropriate methods course(s) from:
MAT. 582 Teaching Secondary Mathematics
MAT. 588 Teaching Secondary Social Studies
MAT. 592 Teaching Secondary English
MAT. 598 Teaching Secondary Science
Special Topics Seminars: Participation in a series of topic seminars will be required.
Note: Student may elect to add certification in Learning and Behavior Disorders. This will require additional course work to be determined by the Program Director.