Requirements for a Master of Arts in Education (MAEd), Literacy Specialist Endorsement Grades P-12
Overall MAEd Requirements
- A program of study that includes a minimum of 36 hours of course work as outlined below with a minimum of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average throughout the program and a minimum GPA of 3.67 in all literacy related coursework.
- The successful completion of a program of study including core courses, emphasis courses, and a final culminating project.
- A minimum of 24 hours of graduate credit earned in residence at Bellarmine. All credit hours must have faculty advisor approval.
- Completion of all degree work within six years of the applicant’s first registration in his/her program.
MAEd with Literacy Specialist Emphasis Requirements
Bellarmine University’s Master of Arts in Education degree with Literacy Specialist Endorsement (Grades P-12) offers educators an in-depth study of teaching, learning, and literacy leadership. The endorsement across all grade levels will allow the classroom teacher to explore literacy issues related to elementary, middle, and high school students with an emphasis on issues related to struggling readers. In addition, the candidate will examine theoretical models and processes of literacy, investigating the political underpinnings of literacy in America.
Candidates who complete the Literacy Specialist Endorsement (Grades P-12) may choose to remain a highly qualified classroom teacher of reading and writing, may elect to serve as the literacy leader in their school, become the school’s reading coach, or apply for a district level literacy resource position.
The endorsement will be granted upon successfully completing 21 hours of literacy related course-work which includes a required practicum where candidates will work as a reading coach with local P-12 students. Courses are offered each semester leading to the endorsement and advanced degree. Acceptance into this program requires the student to hold a valid classroom teaching certificate.
MAEd Core Requirements: 12 hours
- EDUG 601 Research Methodology for School Leaders
- EDUG 644 Teacher Leadership for Equity in Schools and Community
- EDUG 672 Dynamic Teacher Leadership
- EDUG 673 Teacher Leadership for Communities of Practice
MAEd Literacy Specialist Emphasis: 24 hours
- LITR 621 Literacy Assessment and Instruction I
- LITR 622 Literacy Assessment and Instruction II
- LITR 627 Teaching Writing: A Workshop Approach
- LITR 630 21st Century Literacies and Technology
- LITR 640 Second Language Learners
- LITR 645 Teaching Leadership Practices in Academic Literacy
- LITR 663 Advanced Diagnostics and Interventions for Struggling Learners
- LITR 670 Clinical Practicum in Literacy Leadership
1. Minimum GPA of 3.67 in all literacy related coursework and minimum GPA of 3.0 in all other program coursework.
2. Successful completion of Supervised Practicum and exit interview.
In order to receive the Literacy Specialist (P-12) Endorsement certification in Kentucky, students must maintain a minimum of 3.67 in all literacy related coursework, successfully pass the supervised practicum (LITR 670), exit interview, and receive a qualifying score of 164 on the Reading Specialist Praxis II test (5301).