Requirements for a Master of Arts in Education (MAEd), Teacher Leadership Grades P-12
Overall MAEd Requirements
- A program of study that includes a minimum of 30 hours of course work with a minimum of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average throughout the program.
- The successful completion of a program of study including core courses, emphasis courses, and a final culminating project.
- A minimum of 24 hours of graduate credit earned in residence at Bellarmine. All credit hours must have faculty advisor approval.
- Completion of all degree work within six years of the applicant’s first registration in his/her program.
MAEd, Teacher Leadership Requirements
Bellarmine University’s Master of Arts in Education in Teacher Leadership program is designed to develop teacher leaders who will be challenged to reflect continuously upon: leadership skills; coaching and mentoring; analysis of assessment and data to impact instruction; strategies for closing the achievement gap through instructional best practices; the need to address equity and diversity in schools; and collaborative efforts to include colleagues, parents, and the community in comprehensive efforts for school improvement. Candidates will complete a set of core requirements, a set of teacher leadership requirements, up to six hours of professional development based on an individual professional growth plan, and a capstone experience.
Candidates will work collaboratively with a faculty advisor and building principal or designated professional educator to determine an individualized program including school-based action research, anchor assessments, and professional development in a cohort-based professional learning community. Courses will be offered year round in a nights and weekend delivery format.
Acceptance into this program requires the candidate to hold a valid classroom teaching certificate and current employment in a classroom setting.
MAEd Core Requirements: 12 hours
- EDUG 601 Research Methodology for School Leaders
- EDUG 644 Teacher Leadership for Equity in Schools and Community
- EDUG 672 Dynamic Teacher Leadership
- LITR 645 Teacher Leadership Practices in Academic Literacy
Teacher Leadership Requirements: 9 hours
- EDUG 670 School Improvement Through Assessment, Evaluation and Data Analysis
- EDUG 671 Teacher Leadership to Improve Student Achievement
- EDUG 673 Teacher Leadership for Communities of Practice
Individual Professional Growth Requirements: 6 hours
- EDUG 640 Individual Professional Development (P-12) for Teacher and Instructional Leadership
- EDUG 641 Special Topics in Professional Development (P-12) for Teacher and Instructional Leadership
Capstone Experience: 3 hours