Requirements for a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Non-licensure Degree, Religious Education Grades 6-12
- Successful completion of one eighteen (18) credit hour minimum specialization in identified Religious Studies and/or Theology courses prior to enrolling in the MAT program, or completing the designated coursework as part of his/her MAT program of studies and prior to the start of the Professional Semester.
- A program of study which includes all the required coursework with a minimum of 3.0 over-all grade point average.
- A program of study that includes at least 36 hours of coursework at the 500 or 600 level.
- At least 30 semester hours of graduate credit earned in residence at Bellarmine.
- Successful completion of 201 clock hours of field experience prior to the Professional Semester.
- Successful completion of all Benchmark, Disposition and Performance Assessments.
- Completion of all degree work within six years of the applicant’s first registration in his/her program.
Module I - Foundations of Education
MAT. 501 Advanced Field Placement/Observation
MAT. 502 Foundations of Middle and High School Education
MAT. 507 Curriculum Design and Methods for Secondary School
MAT. 509 Classroom Management Strategies
Special Topics Seminars: Participation in a series of topic seminars will be required.
Completion of the above courses addresses all Kentucky Teacher Standards but will NOT lead to a state issued teaching license. All field work will be completed in faith-based schools observing and practicing teaching Religion. Individuals from various religious traditions wishing to study in this program and seek employment in Catholic or other faith-based schools as teachers of Religious Education are encouraged to apply.